No announcement yet.

GA-P55A-UD3 and F3-17600CL7D-4GBPIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A number of thoughts on this: Intel tech papers say max of 1.65 on DRAM and 1.35 for QPI, which has it's merits, though keep in mind that Intel is notorious for under specing max voltages (to prevent possible lawsuits), another strong thought is that there should be no more than a .5 difference between the QPI voltage and the DRAM voltage (which I think is a pretty good one). Generally speaking, trying to stay a little on safe side I don't like to take DRAM any higher over spec than .1 for a clients system on either a build or upgrade/tuning, though with my own boxes I'll go higher, for extended periods and even higher on suicide shots doing benchmarks (but only w/ my own stuff). With GSkill DRAM, they have stated a safe ceiling is .1 over spec on the DRAM.

Your PIs are rated at 1.65, so if we say .1 over, that's 1.75 (in GSkills realm but not meeting Intels stated max) which would mean that the min for QPI would be 1.25 (to keep it in the .5 range).

I think from what I've seen w/ temps, etc maybe 1.35 would be the highest I'd go w/ the normal user, 1.375 for an advanced users (will want to be monitoring temps/performance.

With the certs, I'm guessing you are in IT, and you'll be amazed at the info you can pick up hear and at some of the other tech forums, I know my son has numerous certs and he still comes to me w/ questions (as do some of his instructors) and I know, even after 30 years, I continue to learn more almost daily.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Cool thanks for the benchmarks and ratings, gives me a range to work in. Right now DRAM is 1.65 and QPI is 1.11 I only took it up to like 1.19 so I think I will try one more time to up the QPI volts to see if it finally recognizes the 2 gig in slot 3 but I'll be very careful of getting in the 1.35 range and probably just bump the hertz back down if it is just stubborn. The extra speed would be nice but if I have to stay at 17600 its not too big a deal really. It seems to be doing much better it was real upset being set at 1333.

Comment

It can be very painstaking to find the sweet spot, but if you have the time it's generally worth it. Also be glad how quick systems boot up these days, used to REALLY be a pain.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hey I bumped QPI up to 1.23v and it is seeing the full 4Gb at 2200 now I have some software install and config to do on it and will be a good stability test. looks like maybe we found the right setting!

Comment

Hope so, keep us posted.........lookin' good

Tman

Comment

Oops looks like another issue popped up. Now at boot the system posts but does an autorestart at "loading operating system message" then boots to windows normal. Here is someone with same issue:
              http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/28...ng-problem#bas

If I go into bios before the autorestart all 4gig show but after autorestart only 2gig shows in Bios, but then it boots to windows succesfully and all 4gig shows.

I am uncomfortable to leave the system with an unknown auto restart so I think I am going to bump the clock cycle back down to 8.0 Its the only setting the system runs error free at.

There may be a bit of a gigabyte g.skill conflict here, at least one I can't find the settings to manage at full speed.

Comment

Might bump the QPI to 1.25 or even a bit more

Tman

Comment

I forgot to mention I had done that and it lost recognition of one of the chips when bumped to 1.25. It seems like only a QPI of 1.23 it will recognize both chips. Unless when I bump QPI should I be bumping DRAM voltage too?

Comment

DRAM Voltage should be fine at 1.65V.

Typically DDR3-2200 requires around 1.40V for that CPU. Definitely try a higher voltage if you are having such issues. Or you can test one module at a time, so it is not stressful on the CPU, to see if it is a memory problem or settings problem.

If you'd like, post some pictures of BIOS so we can see what's going on.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I tried playing with the settings again and now it will only recognize one chip no matter what I set the QPI voltage to. 1.11 up to 1.29. It used to recognize both chips at 1.23 but no longer and with that setting I was having boot problems. I took some settings pictures but can not post right away. I forgot my micro usb cable to download pics.

If I reload BIOS default optimized settings then set XMP to profile1 and set System memory multiplier to 8.0 it seems to run totally stable but at 1760 frequency. Effectively under-clocked correct?

Do you see any issues running at an underclocked speed? If not I think I am going to deploy, unfortunately I have someone waiting on the PC.

Comment

No, underclocked is just fine.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Ok cool thanks for your help. I would have liked to have figured the right RAM setting but since I have to support this PC remotely the more stable the better even if a little speed is given up.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                            No, underclocked is just fine.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH
                            Hey I just wanted to say thanks. I had another computer in the field that was having windows stability issues. This was another gigabyte board but a bit different model however it had 1600 a-data memory and the board had configured at 1333. The XMP setting cleared it up. I really appreciate your responses which helped me to understand this issue. It has already helped me multiple times.

Comment

Fantastic, glad it helped. I try to post as much information as possible, in hopes that it benefits everyone that searches. Knowledge is only good if it is shared.

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                              X