Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8GB but Windows 7 (64-bit) sees 3.99GB

Hi all,

I?m setting up a new computer and have run into a problem. My memory is not being fully recognized or at least is not fully usable.

Motherboard: Asus Maximus III Formula. Latest bios.
    RAM: 4x2 (8GB) GSkill F3-12800CL9Q-8GBECO

With all four sticks in, Windows 7 indicates that I have 8GB RAM but only 3.99GB are usable. With two sticks in, Windows 7 says I have 4GB but only 1.99GB available.

In POST and in bios, I see only 4087MB available. However, Asus MemPerfect sees 8192MB installed.

I have reseated the RAM several times and tried a few different settings in bios. The memory remapping is enabled.

According to the GSkill web site, this RAM should work with my motherboard (Though it is not on the Asus QVL list.) How can I get it to let me have 8 (or nearly 8) usable GB?

I really hope I can resolve this without returning something.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS. Then, enable the XMP Profile and everything should run fine. Make sure Windows is not reallocating them as Virtual Memory or somewhere else since you have a lot of memory.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me. I hope you can help me get this working right.

I do have the latest bios for the motherboard; that was the first thing I updated. It is version 1202 from Dec. 7, 2009.

I enabled the XMP Profile in bios, which I had tried before. I see it sets the speed to 1600 and voltage to 1.35. But no joy. After boot, I still see in system info:

Installed memory (RAM): 8.00GB (3.99 GB usable)

Resource monitor (in task manager) indicates that 4106 MB are "hardware reserved."

Available: 3007 MB
      Cached: 603 MB
      Total: 4086 MB
      Installed: 8192 MB

Do you have other suggestions?

Comment

Try reseating the memory to make sure they are firmly installed. Press down on both sides, the one sided clip may leave one side slightly raised. Also, reseating the CPU could help any memory controller related problems. If you continue to have issues, you may want to simply send them in for new replacements.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks again. Here is what I have been able to determine in the last hour or so.

I reseated the processor. No change observed.

Asus advises that if you only use one RAM stick, use DIMM slot A1. I tried all four sticks in A1. The machine would not boot up.

I tried all four in slot B1. The machine booted up each time and showed 2GB memory.

I tried 2 sticks in B1 and B2. The machine booted fine and showed 4GB memory.

I added a stick to A1. The machine showed 6GB installed, 3.99GB usable.

With all four slots filled, again, it shows 8GB installed but only 4GB usable.

It seems to me that slots A1 and A2 on the motherboard are not functioning right ... though I suppose their are other possibilities. Your thoughts and advice?

-jeff

Comment

Reseat the CPU. Sounds like one channel is disabled or not working properly. You may have to get your motherboard replaced.

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I am returning the motherboard, FYI, and getting another. Same model. Will update this next week when I have it and am back on track ...

Comment

Working...
              X