Intel DZ68DB and F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel DZ68DB and F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

I have been trying G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL RAM (2x4GB) with an Intel DZ68DB board. By default, this board is running the RAM at DDR 1600, CAS 9-9-9-28, 1.5V. The system seems stable when running, but it has booted up spontaneously a few times, after a full shutdown.

Two SATA drives are connected to the board, along with a wireless keyboard/mouse and a USB wifi adapter, with a tested power supply. I have not yet tried removing any components. Memtest86+ v4.20 showed no memory errors after 2 full passes. I tried configuring the RAM as DDR 1333 and 8-8-8-24, but it mostly failed to POST with those settings. The CPU isn't overclocked. Could the spontaneous booting be caused by the combination of this RAM and board? Is there a failsafe configuration?

I neglected to add that I am using an Intel Core i5-2500k processor with this motherboard. I have no graphics card attached, only using the graphics on the CPU. I did upgrade the Intel BIOS to the latest 0014 version before starting this thread and it had no effect on the spontaneous booting. The computer is always turning itself on after a full shutdown, if left for several hours. Currently I unplugged all components from the motherboard except the DVI-D monitor and the wireless receiver for the keyboard/mouse, leaving the 2x4GB G.Skill RAM, to see if the problem persists.

An Intel tech support agent told me yesterday that this DDR 1600 memory would eventually damage the memory controller in the Core i5-2500k CPU and that the memory could be causing the spontaneous booting problem. They said to consult the manufacturer regarding possibly running the RAM at DDR 1333. I'm looking for advice on this before considering returning this RAM.

P.S. The tested power supply is a new COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W.

Thanks.
    Last edited by alexk; 07-08-2011, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Additional troubleshooting information: after unplugging all components except for the monitor and USB wifi keyboard/mouse receiver, the system was in total shutdown state starting at 9 am today. At around 12 pm today, it spontaneously turned itself on again. Now I have shut it down again and unplugged the last two components (monitor and USB wifi receiver) for additional testing.

Comment

Update: The computer turned itself back on around 1:20 pm today, after another full shutdown around 12:50 pm. Then, as has happened previously, it would not shutdown more than a few seconds before starting up again on it's own. Next I will remove one memory module, but can't do that until this evening.

Comment

Manually set the memory to DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V.

Test one module at a time to see if one performs differently than the other.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
            Manually set the memory to DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V.

Test one module at a time to see if one performs differently than the other.
            I have done this and tested with eath module separately and the issue persists with both, no difference - the computer is spontaneously booting all the time, this afternoon/evening not staying off for more than a few seconds unless the power is killed at the power supply. I also tested with several other RAM settings with no difference. I'm out of ideas.

Comment

Sounds like a faulty mobo.....or possibly a short in the case and it's power switch/wiring......or PSU....with the power off the individual components have nothing to do with starting up.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I did have another perfectly good, 5-year old 500W Antec NeoHE power supply and so far in testing with that with both G.Skill RAM modules, I am not having the spontaneous startup issue. I'll continue testing but this issue may have been caused by a faulty new power supply.

Comment

Sounds like it, keep us updated

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Though the spontaneous startup issue seems to be gone with the alternate power supply, the BIOS was not booting up reliably with the RAM set to 1333 8-8-8-24. Also, on a reboot, the computer was sometimes turning itself off for a few seconds, then back on again. With the RAM set back to defaults of 1666 9-9-9-28, these issues disappeared.

However, sometime in recent days I have lost sound, whereas it was working less than a week ago. I did not have speakers attached, only headphones, but have tested with speakers and headphones, only getting white noise now. BIOS settings are defaults, audio is detected by the OS and all audio drivers are loaded, as before when I had sound. Motherboard front panel audio connections look fine. Motherboard issue?

Comment

According to my troubleshooting, I have a motherboard on which the audio has died, a faulty new power supply and memory that is not capable of running at the rated specs with this system and also won't run stably at any DDR 1333 setting. That is quite amazing. I have assembled this system carefully, with an anti-static mat on which it still sits and an anti-static wrist band, following normal precautions. I'm attempting to RMA the power supply, motherboard and RAM (Newegg). I may consider trying Ripjaws X series.

Comment

Yikes, hopefully the new combination works better. I would suggest a new/diff mobo too..

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

What different, UEFI-compliant motherboard would you suggest with similar specs and why? It's also possible I may have to stick with this motherboard for a while. I'll certainly try to get the audio fixed.

Thanks.

Comment

The Intel boards are very limited, and the quality just isn't as good.

Gigabyte for example has very nice motherboards for around the same price:

GA-Z68A-D3-B3
                            GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
                            GA-Z68X-UD3-B3

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL - Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) is fine with this DZ68DB board as would be expected, running at 9-9-9-24. The F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL seemed to run stably at 9-9-9-28 and 1600 MHz with this board, but no other settings that I could find.

Comment

Working...
                              X